Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stonecutters, Now in 2D!

I hope to start painting soon and so I've been thinking a lot about how I want the Stonecutters to look on the battlefield. I'm sticking with a lot of my earlier ideas but I have decided to change a few things to either help unify them visually or else to more closely match my source material. Below is the color scheme I'm currently thinking about using for the Chapter. The main area I'm debating are the edges on the shoulder pauldrons. I ditched the idea of doing the yellow because I decided I wanted to do all the helmets yellow, making the should edging too much. Besides, I think that is already being used as one of the Blood Angels successors. I think a purple or violet color would more closely match the colors of the Stonecutter's ceremonial robes in Homer the Great, but I find something about the combination of red, yellow, and purple unsettling. I don't know where the light turquoise color came from but I think it conveys that Simpsons palette feel.

Stonecutter Tactical Marine

The next one represents possibly the thing I'm most looking forward to with this army... painting a Homer marine. I'm not too sure how I'm going to use him in the force but I'm only going to paint one of them this way for now. The inspiration for this is the scene in Homer the Great when Homer crashes through the Stonecutter's skylight and is surrounded by the angry Guild members. I originally thought about having him be either just a random marine or else a squad sergeant, but I've since realized he deserves much better than that. I think he'll look best as Captain Homer, which should make the command squad I have planned even more fun.

Captain Homer

The concept for the Chapter badge also handily comes from episode #2F09, the Stonecutter's dual-hammer symbol of course. I've got a couple of different ideas on how to translate it into the Chapter badge and may end up using several of them. I think I'll go with a yellow or gold design on the red Stonecutters, while Homer will get a blue one like that seen beneath the Header of this page. The other thing I'm trying to sort out is how to actually get these onto the shoulders. The symbol looks easy enough for a novice freehand painter like myself, I'm just worried about being able to keep them consistent over time. Ideally I would love to have custom decals for them but I am not artistically or technically savvy enough to do them myself. I really would like to track down someone who could do it for me on a commission basis. If anyone reading this knows who I can contact about that, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment